Sweet friends! Having vented my lady-spleen last night, I’m feeling better. Feeling fresh. Feeling clean. Feeling autumnal even though it’s 95 degrees in the Chi. Truth: this is my favorite time of year.
Fall means squash (orange foods: the reason I look tannish all year round.) Falls means Paula Red apples and wool capes and worn sweaters and seasonally appropriate combat boots that don’t make your feet sweat balls #anatomicimpossibilities. But more than that, fall means back to school… even for us working girls. We breathe in l’eau de pencil shavings and dry, curly edged leaves. We breathe out progress. Cue the self improvement montage! I’ll show you how valuable Elle Woods can be!
In case you guys haven’t noticed, I’m sort of obsessed with personal development. I don’t understand how a person can not be obsessed with personal development. I owe you all a majorly reflective post on where I’ve been and where I am now in the sort of near future, but since the days are already growing shorter here, let’s make this brief. Here is a list of what I’m doing right with my 20′s:
- I’ve already conquered my demons… since, welp… I don’t have an eating disorder and my only “drinking problem” is that I drink so rarely that even moderate imbibing makes me cray.
- I’m, if not gainfully, then at least stay-afloatfully, employed.
- I’m rul’ quick to disentangle myself from unhealthy romantic entanglements
- I take exceptionally good care of my health and will probs look and feel like a young spring chicken when I’m an old hag. That’s how it works, yes?
- I have a baller support system in my girlfrans and my family.
- I have lots of little side passions, a sense of purpose, and a solid understanding of who I am.
So, essentially, I’ve finally mastered the basics and can get down to business. Like Elle Woods, y’all. So here’s the business… the stuff I need to work on and might need to keep working on for a long, long time:
- I’m a little wimpy… in personal relationships. In professional relationships. I need to get better at asking for what I want in the moment that I want it.
- Hand in hand with wimpiness is vagueness. Floatiness. I know I can be a lady of concrete conviction, but SHOCKER… I don’t always effectively communicate that strength.
- Listening. Truth: I’m a pretty mediocre listener. I’m selfish and overstimulated in the way that every other human with problems of privilege and an internet connection is selfish and overstimulated. Sometimes I’m too busy analyzing what’s being said to actually hear it, you know?
There’s more, but the lunch bell is ringing. Jk lols, no more lunch bells for me. But that’s enough to get started with my own evolution montage, right? If this song is playing on repeat in my head, maybe? Yes. So anyway, if I’m sort of pushy and focus a little too intently on everything you say in the coming weeks… I’m experimenting, okay? Okay.
Tell me what you’re workin’ on! What does autumn mean to you?