Oh hello, you saucy thing, you. It’s almost the weekend and, let me tell you, I am going to prance out of work at 5:00 like the flesh-toned girl smurf that I am. It hasn’t been a particularly trying week (Although today at work is going to be a brobdingnagian doozie. Yeah, I said it. Cross your eyes for me.) and it’s been made even better by YOU. Yes, you! Thank you for reading, commenting, social media-ing, emailing… especially on my last post. Y’all are really somethin’ and I don’t remember how I functioned at all before this little blog. Yes, this week has been a gem amidst the CEASELESS QUARRY OF RUBBLE AND ASH that is February (#hyperbolicseasonaldrama) but it’s the freakin’ weekend, baby, I’m ’bout to have me some… major girly bonding time, epic dancing (see DDPing, courtesy of this fly lady), gin and champagne, (Everyone is always horrified when I mix these drinks. I swear, it’s like prohibition era heaven! See French 75 and ignore that powdered sugar suggestion… just buy cheap champagne!) heart to hearts and shared study sessions over Intelligentsia with frothed almond milk and hopefully some lone wolf time. And a manicure. So many things and I haven’t even started my love list yet!
1. First up, the fatalist behind the myth: T-t-t-tori of Toridotgov.com! This chick is all sharp angles, barbed wit and spiked champagne. If you don’t read her blog yet, shame on you. She’s terrifyingly smart: she’s also terrifying; and I love her to jagged little creepster bits. Not to mention those cheekbones! Together, we create a true Fujiwhara effect (that’s the tendency of two nearby tropical cyclones to rotate cyclonically about each other and also what I plan to name my world famous lady DJ duo) and I cannot wait to CAPITALIZE ON OUR COLLECTIVE CRAZY. (M.I.A.: M., our third and raging-est club member. Miss you, girl!)
2. Jazz. You know, dear reader, I consider myself sort of an intellectual. I like literature and opera and bearded men who read Rimbaud in the Metra station (missed connection?! <3<3<3). I’m also a musician… like, I have a degree in music. Why don’t I get jazz? Why don’t I know my Thelonious Monk from my Coltrane? Jazz probably hasn’t earned a callout on my love list, but you know what has? Going to jazz clubs and snapping enthusiastically to show my faux-appreciation and beatnik savvy. Done.
3. Tea dates with dear family friends to reconnect and talk about our future selves… my favorite topic
4. DANNY’S! My favorite bar of all time, and the best nightly dance party in the city. (Monthly dance parties are a different story. I consider myself a dance party connoisseur, so feel free to email me with burning questions.) The time has come to rub up on some hipsters with mah ladies!!!
5. Spin class. I’m addicted and I don’t want to change. I even have little spin class friends now! It’s like Cheers!
6. My favorite coffee with one of my favorite women – and the ONLY other woman to be photographically featured on da blog (um, until today). Hopefully we actually get some work done and don’t just rehash law prom (that’s a thing) and livestream the Oscars… I have so many sparkly dresses.
7. Warm weather. Desert sun. I’m visiting my babygirl Marge in Phoenix next week! Just dreaming about my sunburn…
8. These incredible crispy things. They’re NOT gluten free, and though the ingredient list is short, they’re not remotely good for you. But I sprinkle them on salads like this one:
and they add the perfect savory crunch! TJ’s for the win! Speaking of salads, I recently got a request to elaborate more on tips for budding vegans/the veg-curious. Does that sound interesting to you all? I don’t think I can maintain a food diary sort of deal, but one day and a little instruction certainly wouldn’t kill me unless, you know, my camera exploded or some anti-food photography ninjas took note. Gimme feedback, friends!
10. All the bands that made me feel like SUCH a music snob in high school. I’m really feeling Broken Social Scene, New Pornographers, Stars and Metric (love their new album!) all over again. And I’m desperate to do Pitchfork and Lollapalooza this year… I haven’t been in ages! Little known fact: I once smashed my rib at Lolla whilst stalking the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Scariest concert experience EVER – my friend found a knife in her hair when it was all over… J, do you remember that?!?! Who’s with me? Who’s with me for a weapon free summer music festival adventure?!
11. My mom. I love her every week. And every day. Thanks for loving your nut job daughter, Mama!
12. SNOW, not least of all because it may mean that our event at work today isn’t complete bedlam. Your eyes BETTER be crossed.
XOXO and happy, happy weekend!!!,